Monday, October 5, 2009

Why Skiing and Rock Climbing?

Why Skiing and Rock Climbing? I have wondered how I have ended up on these two out of all the activities and hobbies that are out there in the world. After a lot of thought I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy social individual sports. Both skiing and rock climbing can be in a very social environment though it only depends on how well I perform that determines if I complete the climb or make it down the slope. Being with people is one of the greatest things in life, there is so much to learn from one another for we all have different experiences in life. Specifically with skiing and rock climbing we can all teach one another about technique or tricks that one has learned.

For me personally most of my family skis and now rock climbs. It is great to be able to push ourselves individually but motivate each other as a group. We, my family and I, are all very competitive so we don't like to get "one-uped" by each other thus we just push ourselves harder and harder to be better. I know I have a long way to go until I am "good" but it is so much fun to walk the path of improvement with those around me but at the same time it comes down to myself and if I am going to complete the climb or not.

Lastly, why I love these two sports is when I accomplish a tough climb or ski really well it feels like everyone is excited for me. For example, I was on a really tough climb a few weeks ago and I just kept falling and struggling and looking more or less like a fish out of water. However, when I would connect one or two moves it was as if I had just hit a home run to win the game. Everyone was excited and clapping. And when I returned to solid ground it was as if I was returning from a mission to the moon. There were high-fives and congratulations all around, yes it was a boost to the self confidence and encouragement to keep climbing. So if you ever need really positive reinforcement let me know I have just the people

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the land of the bloggers Garrett! I'm sure I'll learn a ton from you about both skiing and rock climbing! :)

    ReplyDelete