Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Mullein Land and My Paper

Here is a paper I wrote for my English class about a place I enjoy going. It is no work of art but I hope you enjoy.


Many of us have made the drive through Logan Canyon and admired its beauty. The flowing river and the slabs of limestone rock are only a few of the many beauties the canyon boasts, some of which are in plain sight and visible from the road. One such area that I love is a rock formation called Mullein Land. It can be seen from the road, however very few have made the fifteen minute hike to enjoy what it has to offer. There are many reasons why I love visiting Mullein Land but the top two reasons are rock climbing and the view.
Getting to Mullein Land is easy; just hop in the car and a short fifteen-minute drive up the canyon toward Bear Lake brings you to a guard station on the left side of the road. Upon reaching the station, take one more quick turn and pull off to the right. This large pull-off is big enough for three of four cars, making it easy to spot. Just across the road is the trailhead, which is hidden amongst the trees and overgrown grass but is easily found once you have crossed over.
I have hiked this trail many times in daylight and in the dark; and every time I go I find something new. One of the greatest and most startling discoveries was when I nearly stepped on a baby rattlesnake sunning itself on the trail. I quickly backpedaled and heard mama snake in the bushes, so I elected to scramble up a rock and hike around the snakes, letting them have the sun and the trail. Most of the time I don’t find anything quite so startling; normally I just find rattlesnake skins and their dens.
The hike is not very long, but it gets me far enough off the road that it makes me feel like I am in a separate world. At the trailhead, the mountains towering on both sides make me feel very enclosed, but the higher I climb the more open the trees become and noise from the road lessens. Upon reaching the top of the short hike the rock, like a present, always awaits. All the climbs at Mullein Land are fun and offer an absolutely spectacular view, but there are two in particular that are my favorite climbs in all of Logan Canyon. One climb is a traditional or “trad” climb, and the other is a sport route. The difference between trad climbing and sport climbing is simple. Trad climbing consists of the climber wedging specialized gear, such as nuts and cams, into small cracks that stop the climber if they fall. In sport climbing, bolts are pre-drilled into the rock, and the climber uses carabineers to clip the rope to the bolts on the way up.
I particularly love the trad climb at Mullein Land because it’s one of the first trad routes I ever completed. Until I had completed this climb, I did not realize the difference between completing a trad route and completing a sport route. A trad route signifies that the individual climbing gear is placed and then taken when the climb is completed. There is no artificial gear left behind dotting the climb like buttons up a shirt as there is with sport climbing. Leaving the rock as it was gives me a feeling of coming closer to nature because no alterations were made or left behind. The trad route is also special to me because it requires a variety of climbing techniques. In some places the climber is required to insert the hand into a crack and then flex the fingers, pressing the finger tips against one side of the crack and the back of the hand against the other. This creates what is called a hand jam, which is more effective than just grabbing onto a ledge and pulling up. Other parts of the climb require the use of a technique called a lay back. A lay back is where hands are grabbing a flake, or section of rock that juts out, and the feet are brought near the hands so the climber is perpendicular to the wall. By continually pulling on the flake with the hands, the climber is able to walk up the rock much like using a rope to scale a wall.
These are only two of the many moves required to surmount this climb. The use of these moves combined with some grunting is the only way to get to the top of the climb. Despite the effort, there is a reward waiting at the top; the rock melts back into the mountain, revealing a grassy slope. Every time I get to the top, I love sitting down and enjoying the view of Logan Canyon below, which surprises me every time with its beauty. The view from Mullein Land is unique because it is located above a curve in the river. The rock feature sits at the apex of a large horseshoe bend in the canyon, thus presenting a full view of the river, which snakes up and down the canyon.
After enjoying the view and quickly rappelling down, the opportunity to go over to the sport climb that lies on the other side of the rock face presents itself. This climb is on the northern arĂȘte of the rock feature, and from the start of the climb to the top there is a wonderful view of the surrounding landscape. A few great holds in the rock create specific spots where I love to pause and really look around. Just before reaching the top of the climb there is a place both feet can be planted firmly and both hands can reach up to an “undercling”, which is much like a car door handle. At this place, I can lean away from the rock and enjoy the view.
Something spectacular comes over me when great natural beauty is combined with rock climbing. For me, this combination almost has the ability to transform life itself. Problems and concerns melt away, and all that becomes important is not letting go. My mind becomes so clearly set on this one goal that nothing else matters. I often close my eyes, settle my breathing, and find that a sense of inner peace arises. When I finally do open my eyes and look around, all I see is absolute natural magnificence. I see the mountains around me, everywhere I look. I see the Logan River, flowing peacefully below me. I’ve seen a hawk circling in the air, riding thermals higher and higher, and a squirrel running across a ledge. Mullein Land presents treasure after treasure, each a feast for my eyes.
I have made many trips to Mullein Land and each time I go, it is a unique experience. It is easy to get to, and the effort is well paid for in the climbing and in the beautiful view from the top. And I always come home a little more relaxed and ready to take on the day-to-day challenges of life. The combination of rock climbing and a beautiful view provide a sense of healing and relaxation not only for me but others who have come along. I am lucky that Logan Canyon is basically in my back yard, for the potential of experiences and moments of tranquility like these are limitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment